This is not the post you are supposed to be reading! But, in a quad pregnancy things change quickly fairly often....

You read right. You aren't supposed to be reading this post! My last post was all about making it to 28 weeks and the excitement surrounding that. We truly were celebrating the accomplishment on Monday. Then on Tuesday, we had a dramatic change.

Let me warn you in advance, some of this is very detailed, so if you're sensitive you may not want to read on. I promised myself that I would be honest with this blog as I want it to help future quad moms and also create a "journal" so my kids can go back one day and relive what their father and I went through in the process of getting them here!

I was working from home the morning of Tuesday, January 21 and had been in the recliner all morning working on an Excel report. I looked down and noticed it was 12:40 and I hadn't had lunch yet so I set my laptop down and got up to make some macaroni and cheese. As soon as I got up, I felt a large gush of fluid leak out. Immediately, I recognized one of the things my doctor told me to watch for and knew that one of my sacs had ruptured. (You know, one of those things they tell you about, but you really have no idea what to expect or look for. They just tell you "you'll know when it happens". I knew!) What I did not know was whether or not labor was eminent.  Adam had gone in to the office in Houston that day so I was there without a way to get in to the hospital. I tried calling my Mom, who lives next door, but she didn't answer. Luckily, I noticed her on the lawnmower through the window when I went to bathroom to clean up. I called Adam and told him my water had broken and that I would either get my Mom to drive me or I'd start driving myself towards Houston and he could meet me. I asked Adam to go ahead and call my doctor and let them know what was going on and that I was on my way in. So, I threw a few things in a bag, not really having a clue what I was doing, grabbed my purse and a towel for the seat, tossed them in the car and took off flying to my Mom's. She knew immediately when she saw me coming that something was going on so she hopped off the mower, got in the driver's seat, and took off. We dialed 911 on the way out so we could ask for a police escort into Houston. They did us one better and had an ambulance meet us on Highway 290 to take me into Houston. I probably received some of the best care possible from the EMT techs! They demonstrated such professionalism as well as flexibility. They assessed the situation, called my doctor, got her input, and then made the decision to take me by ground vs meeting a helicopter in route. I truly commend the EMT staff for demonstrating true professionalism! Adam and I communicated via phone and text message while I was in the ambulance. He met the ambulance along the way and followed us to the hospital. My Mom continued to follow behind both of us (that's how we got this photo of him chasing the ambulance)!

Adam following the ambulance into Houston to the hospital. 

Me, in the ambulance! Pretty picture, huh! I never promised this would be pretty and there was a disclaimer above!

While in the ambulance, my nurse from the MFM clinic called to check on me. They confirmed what was going on and she told me that my doctor would be there waiting for me when I arrived at the hospital. When I arrived, they had a room waiting for me and two nurses quickly got me out of my clothes, into a hospital gown, and started accessing the situation. Adam was able to park and go through the front, check in at security and get his wrist band and then found me back in triage. I was hooked up to monitors immediately but my MFM (that's short Maternal Fetal Medicine) came in along with her resident and a med student so they took priority and got to examine me before the triage nurses. I say this part specifically for future quad moms reading this, this was the exact point in my pregnancy where modesty went out the window. Being in a room with six people seeing everything God gave me was definitely a humbling experience. In retrospect, I now view as just a preview of what's to come in the delivery room but it was definitely something that was "awkward" to say the least. 

They were able to confirm immediately that Baby A had ruptured her sac. Now, surprisingly, this doesn't automatically mean I have to deliver immediately. It does however mean we had to take some precautions. I was admitted to the hospital the same day. They gave me the first of another round of steroids before transferring me to the antepartum unit which is where my new view is. 

Yeah, another not so great photo but let's be honest here, this was near the beginning of hours of torture!

My first 12 hours here was probably the most torturing 12 hours I have ever endured. I was hooked up to an IV with magnesium (to provide neural protection to the babies), antibiotics (to protect baby A as her sac was ruptured leaving her completely exposed) and of course fluids. I was not allowed to eat or drink anything by mouth. I had to have 5 monitors strapped to my belly to monitor the babies' heartbeats and my contractions in addition to a blood pressure monitor (went off every hour) and another monitor for my pulse. I was not allowed to get out of the bed, so to prevent blood clots, I had to wear these massaging cuffs around my calves which further restrained me to the bed. Finally, since I couldn't get out of bed, I had to do something about going potty. I tried using a bedpan twice but just couldn't get over the idea enough to be able to be successful. So I finally requested a catheter which worked for overnight. After much begging, my nurse was finally able to get a clear liquid diet approved for me which meant I had two things of jello and a glass of ice water. At least it got the yucky taste out of my mouth.

I spent the entire night awake except for about an hour where I was able to doze off lightly. I was so excited when my medical team began their rounds the next morning. Around 8 AM, my MFM came in and looked me over. She brought me great news that it looked like I was going to be fine. Clinically, the odds were that if I was going to deliver, it would be within the first 48 hours after the rupture. So thus began a waiting game! I was taken off of the magnesium that morning, which meant I could walk around again. They also took out the catheter. Since I was now able to walk and go to the bathroom, it was best to remove it as it can cause infection. I was cleared to eat whatever I wanted again (another post about this to follow) AND take a shower. After all of that, I felt like a different person.

And then, the waiting began! I'm now in the hospital to stay until the babies are delivered! My doctor is still pushing for 32 weeks, so of course, I am as well (well, if we're honest, I might still be pushing for closer to 34). However, if something were to change, I find comfort in knowing that I am in the hands of some of the very best doctors and nurses in the nation/world! Just so you know, I made it out of the 48 hour window, which is a very good thing! My contractions have lessened tremendously so for now, it's lots of rest, lots of eating, and of course lots of monitoring!

Now that I'm here, with less responsibilities and am set to begin my maternity leave from work on Monday, I feel pretty confident you guys will be getting more updates! I appreciate everyone who has prayed for us and thought about us during this pregnancy. Prayers are what sustain me each and every day. And of course, if you have questions, I'm happy to share this experience with other as I realize, it's pretty unique (except for the quad mom bond I'm discovering)!


  1. Thank you for sharing your experience. I hope the babies can hold on a few more weeks!

  2. Praying for the continued growth of your precious babies! What hospital are you camped out at? Hope the food is good! :/


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A bump (and a bite) in the road...

Master of Moves? Not Quite!

Lessons Learned